Israeli air strikes kill 17 in Gaza
Gaza: A fresh Israeli air raid on Gaza
early Sunday killed a 12-year-old, bringing the death toll from
strikes since Friday to 17 and dashing Hamas hopes of
restoring a tacit truce.
The killing of the leader of the ultra-hardline Popular
Resistance Committees and a slew of other militants in Israeli
raids on Friday unleashed a spiral of tit-for-tat violence on
the Israel-Gaza border that has made for the highest death
toll in more than three years.
The European Union and the United States urged both sides
to restore calm but Palestinian militants vowed to avenge
their dead and Israel threatened to hit back if its citizens
came under renewed rocket attacks from the coastal enclave.
Militants have fired some 100 rockets into the Jewish
state since Friday.
"An Israeli air raid east of the Jabaliya refugee camp
killed a 12-year-old and wounded another Palestinian," a
Palestinian medic told AFP after the latest strike.
The Israeli military had no immediate comment.
Medics said three Palestinians were killed in air strikes
on Saturday -- one near the southern town of Rafah on the
border with Egypt and two in Khan Yunis. One more was killed
early Sunday in a fresh strike on the east of the Gaza Strip.
Today`s deaths brought to 17 the total number of
Palestinians killed since Friday, medics said, adding that at
least 28 Palestinians had been wounded, five seriously.
The Israeli army said more than 100 rockets and mortar
rounds had been fired into Israel from Gaza over 24 hours.
Four people, three of them Thai labourers, had been wounded
inside Israel, media and Israeli medics said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends