Israeli air strikes target factory, tunnel in Gaza
Gaza: The Israeli military carried out air strikes against targets in the Gaza Strip on Saturday, an army spokesman and Palestinian witnesses said.
No one was wounded in the attacks, Palestinian medical workers said.
The Army spokesman said the air strikes targeted a metal factory in northern Gaza that Israel believed was used to make weapons and a tunnel dug by militants near the Israeli border.
He said the strikes were in response to a rocket fired from the Gaza Strip toward Israel on Thursday.
In a separate incident, six Palestinians were killed and several injured when a cooking gas canister smuggled from Egypt exploded in a tunnel, medical workers said.
Palestinians use tunnels under the Egypt-Gaza border to smuggle in everything from staples to weapons to skirt an Israeli blockade on the enclave. Israel tightened its blockade in 2007 after the Islamist group Hamas took control of Gaza.
Israel launched a devastating military offensive in Gaza in December 2008 with the declared aim of stopping daily rocket fire aimed at its southern cities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Say goodbye to your acidity woes with these ten simple tips!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital