Israeli air strikes target Gaza after rocket fire
Gaza: Israel carried out a series of air strikes in the Gaza Strip on Tuesday, Palestinian officials and witnesses said, after militants from the Hamas-ruled territory fired rockets into southern Israel.
No one was reported killed in any of the strikes that targeted a Hamas training camp, where two gunmen were wounded, as well as smuggling tunnels along Gaza`s border with Egypt and other, unpopulated areas, Hamas officials and witnesses said.
An Israeli military spokesman said at least 14 rockets had been launched at Israel from the Gaza Strip in the past two days.
A rocket that later struck an Israeli farming community on the Mediterranean coast lightly wounded one person who was taken to hospital, police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said. Media reports said the rocket landed near a kindergarten.
A spokesman for the al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades militant group, an offshoot of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas`s Fatah movement, claimed responsibility for the latest rocket attack and said it was fired in retaliation for Israel`s air strikes.
Hamas leaders have tried to curb rocket fire at Israel from Gaza, but smaller groups continue to carry out such attacks.
Israel`s military said more than 200 cross-border missiles, rockets and mortars have been fired from Gaza this year.
An air strike in Gaza on Saturday killed five militants from a rocket-launching squad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured