Israeli air strikes wreck Palestine stadium
Gaza: Israeli air strikes left the Palestine stadium in the Gaza Strip in ruins as a bombing campaign on the enclave entered its sixth day Monday.
The Israeli defence forces said fighters had been launching rockets at Israel from the 10,000-capacity football stadium.
A series of strikes over the weekend and Monday morning left four large holes in the pitch and caused major damage to the stands and infrastructure.
"What a stadium it was," a local resident who gave his name only as Fathi said. "They`ve left nothing at all."
The stadium was built in the 1990s and hosted many international sporting events before Israeli travel restrictions made that impossible. Palestine`s football team now uses a 7,000-capacity ground in the West Bank.
Newly launched Israeli air strikes killed three more Palestinians in the Gaza Strip Monday, taking the toll to 91 on the sixth day of the ongoing conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- It's a canard that Kalam was reluctant to appoint Sonia Gandhi as PM: Manmohan Singh