Israeli aircraft hit Gaza after rocket attacks
Jerusalem: Israeli aircraft struck a weapons-manufacturing facility and two smuggling tunnels in the southern Gaza Strip on Thursday, in response to recent rocket attacks on Israel, the military said.
Palestinian security officials reported no injuries.
Israel went to war against militants in Hamas-ruled Gaza last winter to quash eight years of rocket and mortar fire that terrorized southern Israel and killed 18 civilians.
More than 1,400 Palestinians were killed in the war, and since it ended on January 18, the attacks have decreased sharply. According to the military`s count, 270 rockets and mortars have been fired at Israel since the three-week offensive ended on January 18, compared with more than 3,300 in 2008.
But Israel says weapons and weapons-making components still reach militants through tunnels under Gaza`s border with Egypt. And sporadic fire continues, including a rocket attack on Wednesday that caused no injuries.
The Israeli military said in a statement that it would "respond to any attempt to disrupt the calm in Israel`s southern communities."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India