Israeli airstrike kills senior Hamas rocket maker
Gaza city: Israeli warplanes fired missiles at five targets across Gaza, killing a senior commander of the Hamas military wing and wounding 11 people, the group said Saturday.
The Israeli military confirmed the air strikes and said they came in response to a rocket attack from Gaza on the Israeli coastal city of Ashkelon on Friday. The attack on Ashkelon caused damage but no injuries.
The cross-border violence came after weeks of relative calm and raised concerns of further escalation.
Hamas` military wing, Izzedine al-Qassam, said it would retaliate for the killing of Issa Batran, 42. It identified Batran as a commander of the military wing in central Gaza and a senior rocket maker.
Hamas says eight of its supporters and three civilians were wounded in the air strikes.
The targets hit by missiles included a Hamas military training camp in Gaza City, smuggling tunnels under the Gaza-Egypt border and a shack on the outskirts of the Nusseirat refugee camp, Hamas security officials said.
Hamas seized Gaza by force in 2007, wresting control from internationally backed Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. The Islamic militants have been building crude rockets for the past decade, and have fired hundreds of them at Israeli border towns. However, the group has largely held its fire since Israel`s military offensive against Gaza ended 19 months ago.
There has been no claim of responsibility for Friday`s rocket strike against Ashkelon, a city of 120,000 located 11 miles (18 kilometers) to the north of Gaza and a short drive from Israel`s main population center in Tel Aviv.
Since Israel`s military offensive, small renegade groups in Gaza have occasionally fired crude short-range rockets. However, in Friday`s attack, Ashkelon was hit by a military-grade Grad rocket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened