Israeli Army opens fire at Syrian military post
Tel Aviv: The Israeli Army opened fire at a Syrian military post in retaliation to a fire attack on its patrols in the Golan Heights, an Army spokesman said.
The Israeli soldiers were subjected to fire from the Syrian territory Saturday night.
"Fire was opened at our troops in the southern part of the Golan Heights and we retaliated with fire at a Syrian military post," the spokesman told RIA Novosti.
He did not specify whether the Israeli soldiers had been fired at by Syria`s government forces or rebels fighting for control over the Syrian part of the Golan Heights.
The spokesman said the Israeli army suffered no casualties in the fire attack from Syria.
The Israeli forces responded by firing Tamuz anti-tank guided missiles at the Syrian post in the Tel Fares area in the southern Golan Heights where the bullets originated from, according to the YNet news website.
Syria has been locked in a civil war since demonstrations broke out against President Bashar al-Assad in March 2011. According to UN estimates, at least 70,000 people have been killed in the conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends