Israeli Army plants new mines along Syria border
Jerusalem: An Israeli Army magazine says the military is planting new land mines along the border with Syria to dissuade protesters from rushing into the Golan Heights.
The Army decided to go ahead with the move after older mines failed to detonate when Syrian demonstrators rushed into the border area in June during a protest against Israel`s occupation. Israeli forces opened fire, killing some 20 protesters in efforts to push the crowd back.
The mines are also part of beefed-up measures Israel is taking ahead of rallies that Palestinians are planning to hold in September.
The demonstrations are meant to boost the Palestinian drive for a UN recognition of their state. Israel fears such protests along its borders could turn violent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars