Israeli army ready for ground offensive: IDF chief
Jerusalem: Israel`s military chief on Friday said the army was ready for a ground offensive and that it is upto Hamas to choose between "calm or catastrophe" in Gaza.
"Nothing is stopping us from moving forward," Israel Defence Forces (IDF) Chief of Staff Benny Gantz said during a tour of a Paratroopers training base adding, "The IDF is not waiting for the last straw to go on a ground offensive, it`s waiting on political instruction".
"Terrorists in Gaza are understanding that they`ve made a big mistake. In four days we`ve been intelligently using our offensive means while remembering that there are civilians there that Hamas has turned into hostages," he said.
Gantz went on to say that "strategically, Gaza needs to choose whether it`s heading for a calm or to a security catastrophe," Ynetnews quoted him as saying.
"Gaza is slowly sinking to its doom," he added.
He noted that "the air offensive is excellent and we have intelligence that works".
"We have what to attack, and we will intensify the attacks. We`ve yet to exhaust our offensive capabilities," he stressed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her