Israeli Army ready to widen Gaza operation: Netanyahu
Jerusalem: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Sunday said the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) were prepared to widen, if necessary, their ongoing Operation Pillar of Defence.
"We are exacting a heavy price from the Hamas and other militant organisations, and the IDF is prepared for a significant expansion of its operations," Xinhua quoted Netanyahu as saying during the cabinet`s weekly meeting.
He also confirmed that IDF struck nearly 1,000 targets in the Gaza Strip, including top militants, caches of long-range missiles, smuggling tunnels and launch pads.
"The IDF is achieving significant hits on weapons aimed towards Israeli citizens, as well as those who use these weapons and those who dispatch them," Netanyahu said.
Netanyahu also informed the ministers about his discussions with world leaders over the past two days, trying to convince the Israeli government to avoid a ground invasion which may cost many lives.
On Sunday, Operation Pillar of Defence entered its fifth day. Despite reports of efforts to achieve a cease fire, and a relatively calm night, fighting continued between Israeli defence forces and the Gaza militant groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend