Israeli Army ready to widen Gaza operation: Netanyahu
Jerusalem: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Sunday said the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) were prepared to widen, if necessary, their ongoing Operation Pillar of Defence.
"We are exacting a heavy price from the Hamas and other militant organisations, and the IDF is prepared for a significant expansion of its operations," Xinhua quoted Netanyahu as saying during the cabinet`s weekly meeting.
He also confirmed that IDF struck nearly 1,000 targets in the Gaza Strip, including top militants, caches of long-range missiles, smuggling tunnels and launch pads.
"The IDF is achieving significant hits on weapons aimed towards Israeli citizens, as well as those who use these weapons and those who dispatch them," Netanyahu said.
Netanyahu also informed the ministers about his discussions with world leaders over the past two days, trying to convince the Israeli government to avoid a ground invasion which may cost many lives.
On Sunday, Operation Pillar of Defence entered its fifth day. Despite reports of efforts to achieve a cease fire, and a relatively calm night, fighting continued between Israeli defence forces and the Gaza militant groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?