Israeli border guards kill Palestinian after car hits them
Jerusalem: Israeli border guards shot dead
a Palestinian on Friday after he hit two of them with his pick-up
truck in mostly Arab east Jerusalem, police and Palestinian
"The man struck two members of the border guard with his
car, lightly wounding one of them and more seriously wounding
the other," Jerusalem police spokesman Shmulik Ben Rubi said.
He said the border guards then shot him "after he fled on
foot and did not heed warning shots."
Dr Amin Abu Ghazaleh of the Palestinian Red Crescent
Society said one man was killed and two others were wounded in
Police had earlier gone on high alert in and around the
Old City in east Jerusalem, fearing violent protests in the
wake of the deadly seizure of a Gaza-bound aid flotilla by
naval commandos that sparked international outrage.
They also limited access to the city`s flashpoint Al-Aqsa
mosque compound to men over the age of 40 and women and
children ahead of Friday prayers.
Later today, dozens of Palestinians chanted anti-Israel
slogans and "God is great" at the funeral for the man, who was
buried at a cemetery on the outskirts of the mosque compound.
It was not immediately clear if today`s violence had any
political motive, but police said the were maintaining the
alert in the wake of the shooting.
The mosque compound, in the Old City, is the third most
sacred site in Islam. It was there that Arab anger over a
visit by then Israeli opposition leader Ariel Sharon sparked a
Palestinian uprising in 2000.
Clashes erupted across mostly Arab east Jerusalem in
March over the reopening of a 17th century synagogue a few
hundred metres from the mosque and rumours that Jewish
extremists planned to destroy the compound.
Israel occupied east Jerusalem in the 1967 Six-Day War
and annexed it to its capital in a move not recognised by the
international community. The Palestinians view east Jerusalem
as the capital of their promised state.
On May 31, Israeli forces stormed a Turkish ship that was
part of an aid flotilla seeking to break Israel`s blockade of
the Gaza Strip. Ensuing clashes left nine Turkish activists
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi