Israeli Christian murdered; suspect dressed as Santa
Tel Aviv: A lay leader of Israel`s Christian minority was stabbed to death during an Orthodox Christmas procession by a person dressed as Santa Claus, his church said.
Police were searching for suspects in Friday`s murder of Gabi Kadees in Jaffa, a predominantly Arab port district of Tel Aviv, but said there was no indication of a sectarian motive.
Kadees, the head of Jaffa`s communal Orthodox Association, was stabbed in the back during a parade marking Jesus` birth according to the Eastern church calendar, Israeli media said.
The assailant, who slipped away in the crowd, wore a Santa Claus costume, senior Greek Orthodox cleric Atallah Hanna said.
"He also killed our Christmas joy, and also killed the human and spiritual values embodied by Santa Claus -- who makes children happy on Christmas Eve," Hanna said.
Christians make up fewer than five percent of the population of the Jewish state, whose biggest minority is Muslim. Jaffa has seen some mob violence as well as tensions between long-time Arab residents and Jews.
Luba Samri, a police spokeswoman, said that while all angles of the murder were being investigated there was "nothing to suggest a nationalistic motive" -- Israel`s term for crimes along political, religious or sectarian lines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'