Israeli cop convicted for abusing Arab prisoner
Jerusalem: A young Israeli officer convicted for abusing a Palestinian minor in her custody while shouting anti-Arab slogans on Wednesday denied being a racist and said she wanted to apologise to her victim.
Shani Siviliya, 18, was convicted on Tuesday of putting her service pistol to the head of a 17-year-old Palestinian detainee in March and going through the motions of shooting him, shouting "death to the Arabs” and "Arabs are whores".
She also kicked, slapped and punched him.
"I don`t know what came over me," she said in an interview with army radio.
"It`s important to me to apologise to that youth. If I run into him in the court, I`ll tell him I didn`t mean to do it, that for a moment I was like another person... I`m not really a racist."
The youth, whose name was not published as he is a minor, was stopped by Siviliya and other officers at an East Jerusalem checkpoint and taken into custody when he was found to be carrying three firecrackers, media reported.
The reports said that in a plea bargain the court reduced a charge of assaulting a minor to that of abusing a minor, to which she pleaded guilty. A date for sentencing is yet to be set.
She told news website Y-net that her job in the security forces had numbed her to violence.
"You go into an Arab village and people throw fire bombs and debris from their rooftops, you feel helpless," she said. "If they had the opportunity to hurt me, they wouldn`t think twice."
Sarit Michaeli of Israeli human rights group B`Tselem said that while Siviliya`s actions were indefencible, there was also guilt at the institutional level.
"Obviously individual responsibility for violations of human rights by members of the security forces is crucial," she said. "But there is a point where the system is also equally to blame for this kind of behaviour, for a variety of reasons.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India