Israeli cops clash with ultra-Orthodox protesters
Jerusalem: Israeli police on horseback on Saturday clashed with hundreds of ultra-Orthodox protesters hurling stones and garbage bins as part of a campaign to stop a public parking lot from opening on the Jewish sabbath.
Micky Rosenfeld, a spokesman for national police, said police deployed at a downtown intersection to prevent protesters from carrying out plans to block a main road.
"There are about 800 there, and objects are being thrown at police. Mounted police are dispersing them," Rosenfeld said. A television footage showed a protester denouncing one officer as a "stinking Nazi”.
There were no immediate reports of any injuries or arrests in the protest that disrupted a section of predominantly Jewish populated western Jerusalem.
The demonstration pointed up mounting tensions between a politically influential religious minority and Israel`s secular Jewish majority population who spar on a regular basis over the degree to which public policy should be shaped by religion.
Six Israeli policemen were injured earlier this week in a separate confrontation with protesters in an ultra-Orthodox section of Jerusalem in a raid on alleged tax evaders.
Israeli media reports said Saturday`s protest marked the anniversary of the opening of a public parking lot over the objections of religious politicians and was also called to demand a main road running by their neighbourhood be shut on the sabbath.
Jewish law bans travel on the sabbath along with other forms of routine activity regarded as work but most Israelis do not abide by that restriction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit
- WATCH: How AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya was arrested by Delhi Police amidst high drama during press conference
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues