Israeli court jails Hezbollah spy for 9 years
Jerusalem: An Israeli court sentenced an Israeli-Arab human rights activist to nine years in prison on Sunday after convicting him last year of spying for the Lebanese guerrilla group Hezbollah.
Amir Makhoul had confessed to the spying charge as part of a plea bargain at Haifa District Court, which added a further year`s suspended sentence to the nine years behind bars. The court dropped a separate charge carrying a much longer sentence.
In passing sentence, the court said: "(The accused), an Israeli citizen, chose willingly and with cognizance, apparently due to nationalistic motives, to aid Israel`s most bitter enemies."
Makhoul was director of Ittijah, the Union of Arab Community Based Organisations, a network of Arab NGOs in Israel. He initially pleaded not guilty but agreed to enter a new plea in exchange for reduced charges, and to drop his previous complaints of maltreatment while under interrogation.
Israeli human rights groups accused Israel of denying Makhoul due process at the time of his arrest last April, saying he was refused access to a lawyer for 12 days and that a court gagging order barred publication of his arrest for days.
In October, the three-judge panel at the Haifa court found Makhoul guilty of passing information to Hezbollah on the location of several secret installations in Israel and of passing information on various other matters to the group.
Israel and the Iranian-allied Lebanese group fought a 34-day war in 2006, in which 1,200 Lebanese, mostly civilians, and 158 Israelis, mostly soldiers, were killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing