Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak quits politics
Jerusalem: Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak announced his resignation on Monday, saying he was hanging his boots to spend more time with family.
His resignation comes at a time when Israel is observing a ceasefire in Gaza with Palestinian militant group Hamas.
The two sides were embroiled in an eight-day conflict that killed more than 160 people, most of whom were Palestinians.
Barak said he will however continue in the office for three more months, till elections in January.
He was quoted by CNN as saying that he will not contest the January elections.
He was appointed defense minister under Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in March 2009.
Barak also served as prime minister of Israel between July 1999 and March 2001, when he was defeated in an election by Ariel Sharon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Mumbai local crashes into platform at Churchgate Station
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him