Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak quits politics
Jerusalem: Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak announced his resignation on Monday, saying he was hanging his boots to spend more time with family.
His resignation comes at a time when Israel is observing a ceasefire in Gaza with Palestinian militant group Hamas.
The two sides were embroiled in an eight-day conflict that killed more than 160 people, most of whom were Palestinians.
Barak said he will however continue in the office for three more months, till elections in January.
He was quoted by CNN as saying that he will not contest the January elections.
He was appointed defense minister under Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in March 2009.
Barak also served as prime minister of Israel between July 1999 and March 2001, when he was defeated in an election by Ariel Sharon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon