Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak quits politics
Jerusalem: Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak announced his resignation on Monday, saying he was hanging his boots to spend more time with family.
His resignation comes at a time when Israel is observing a ceasefire in Gaza with Palestinian militant group Hamas.
The two sides were embroiled in an eight-day conflict that killed more than 160 people, most of whom were Palestinians.
Barak said he will however continue in the office for three more months, till elections in January.
He was quoted by CNN as saying that he will not contest the January elections.
He was appointed defense minister under Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in March 2009.
Barak also served as prime minister of Israel between July 1999 and March 2001, when he was defeated in an election by Ariel Sharon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof