Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak quits politics
Jerusalem: Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak announced his resignation on Monday, saying he was hanging his boots to spend more time with family.
His resignation comes at a time when Israel is observing a ceasefire in Gaza with Palestinian militant group Hamas.
The two sides were embroiled in an eight-day conflict that killed more than 160 people, most of whom were Palestinians.
Barak said he will however continue in the office for three more months, till elections in January.
He was quoted by CNN as saying that he will not contest the January elections.
He was appointed defense minister under Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in March 2009.
Barak also served as prime minister of Israel between July 1999 and March 2001, when he was defeated in an election by Ariel Sharon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter