Israeli drone sensor pinpoint terror sites
Jerusalem: The Israel Air Force is testing a sensor designed to enable its drones to spot militant hideouts and weapons, a media report said Sunday.
Israeli drones carry out surveillance missions over Lebanon and Gaza Strip, where tunnels are used for smuggling weapons and shielding militants from airstrikes.
The sensor is developed by Elbit Systems Ltd, Israel`s largest defence electronics company, Xinhua quoted The Jerusalem Post as saying.
The sensor uses imaging technology that shows wavelengths of materials, enabling drone operators to identify the unique spectral signature of targets, according to the report.
"It means that if a bush doesn`t match the natural vegetation in an area, we will be able to detect it," an IAF officer told the Post.
Elbit said it has designed the sensor for installation on its Hermes 900, a medium-sized drone which entered service with the IAF two years ago, and on the older Hermes 450.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Abhishek Manu Singhvi moots revamping CWC, shunting out of 'usual faces'
- India's tour of Zimbabwe and West Indies: BCCI selection committee to announce squads today
- Narendra Modi in Iran: PM invokes India's 'civilisational ties', aims to boost economic, cultural partnership
- IPL 2016, Match 56: Virat Kohli's RCB earn playoffs spot, to face Gujarat Lions in Qualifier 1
- Jorge Lorenzo pips Marc Marquez to Italian MotoGP win