Israeli election to be held January 22
Tel-Aviv: Israel`s parliament has voted to dissolve itself ahead of schedule and set Jan 22 as the date for the next elections, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said Tuesday.
The Knesset`s dissolution was approved by 100 votes to none after a debate lasting eight hours.
Netanyahu said last week that he would seek new elections, months ahead of the scheduled October 2013 poll, due to the parliament`s failure to agree a new budget.
"I`m asking to hold elections on Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013," Netanyahu told the house at the start of the debate.
Likud leader Netanyahu and his coalition of right-wing parties are expected to win easily amid the current tensions.
"In less than 100 days, the people of Israel will decide who will lead them in the face of the greatest security challenges which we have known since the founding of the state; who will lead them in the face of the toughest economic crisis the world has known in the past 80 years," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery