Israeli election to be held January 22
Tel-Aviv: Israel`s parliament has voted to dissolve itself ahead of schedule and set Jan 22 as the date for the next elections, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said Tuesday.
The Knesset`s dissolution was approved by 100 votes to none after a debate lasting eight hours.
Netanyahu said last week that he would seek new elections, months ahead of the scheduled October 2013 poll, due to the parliament`s failure to agree a new budget.
"I`m asking to hold elections on Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013," Netanyahu told the house at the start of the debate.
Likud leader Netanyahu and his coalition of right-wing parties are expected to win easily amid the current tensions.
"In less than 100 days, the people of Israel will decide who will lead them in the face of the greatest security challenges which we have known since the founding of the state; who will lead them in the face of the toughest economic crisis the world has known in the past 80 years," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Zaira Wasim controversy: 'Dangal' star's posters burnt in Kashmir valley