Israeli election to be held January 22
Tel-Aviv: Israel`s parliament has voted to dissolve itself ahead of schedule and set Jan 22 as the date for the next elections, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said Tuesday.
The Knesset`s dissolution was approved by 100 votes to none after a debate lasting eight hours.
Netanyahu said last week that he would seek new elections, months ahead of the scheduled October 2013 poll, due to the parliament`s failure to agree a new budget.
"I`m asking to hold elections on Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013," Netanyahu told the house at the start of the debate.
Likud leader Netanyahu and his coalition of right-wing parties are expected to win easily amid the current tensions.
"In less than 100 days, the people of Israel will decide who will lead them in the face of the greatest security challenges which we have known since the founding of the state; who will lead them in the face of the toughest economic crisis the world has known in the past 80 years," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- DNA: Analysis of first SECC survey in eight decades
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?