Israeli FM warns Palestinians on independence push
Jerusalem: Israel`s hardline foreign minister says there will be a tough response if the Palestinians follow through on a plan to declare independence at the United Nations this fall.
Avigdor Lieberman told reporters on Wednesday that "unilateral steps will force us to take unilateral steps”.
He says Israel is considering a variety of responses but declined to elaborate.
Lieberman has earlier suggested that Israel could annul past peace agreements or annex parts of the West Bank.
With peace talks deadlocked for more than two years, the Palestinians plan to ask the UN to recognise their independence in September.
The move would be largely symbolic but the Palestinians hope it will pressure Israel to withdraw from captured territories they claim for a future state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- LIVE: Pakistan's nuclear weapons may fall into hands of jihadists, fears Hillary Clinton
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’