Israeli forces evacuate Palestinian encampment
Jerusalem: The Israeli military on Sunday said it has driven out some 100 Palestinian activists who had pitched an illegal tent camp near the city of Hebron in the southern West Bank.
The operation today marks the fifth time in the past month that Israeli forces have broken up a Palestinian encampment.
The Palestinians aim to draw attention to Israel`s control of territory they seek for a future state. In particular, they say they are protesting against what they describe as a broad Israeli policy to prevent Palestinians from building in West Bank areas controlled by the Jewish state.
The activists seem to be adopting a tactic of Jewish settlers, who establish communities on contested territory hoping it will remain theirs once structures are built.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- HORRIFIC: Woman gang-raped, attacked with acid before being dumped on road in Kanpur
- Curfew lifted from Kashmir's Anantnag after 49 days, remains in force in other parts
- PM Modi, Amit Shah to address CMs of BJP-ruled states
- South Africa vs New Zealand - 2nd Test, Day 1 - Live cricket score, live streaming
- India, Pak should continue dialogue to address concerns: US