Israeli forces kill 3 Palestinians on Gaza border
Gaza City: Israeli forces killed three Palestinian men on Thursday along the tense border with the Gaza Strip. Israel`s military said they were militants, while relatives identified them as fishermen.
The Israeli military released a statement saying soldiers fired on them after they were spotted planting an explosive device in a no-go zone along the border between 2 am and 3 am.
A spokesman for the Gaza Health Ministry, Adham Abu Salmiya, said they were killed by Israeli fire near the Mediterranean shore in northern Gaza. They were in their 20s and were wearing civilian clothing, he said. Relatives who came to the hospital to receive the bodies for burial said they were fishermen.
None of Gaza`s armed groups immediately claimed the men as members.
The military maintains a buffer zone along the border fence, where militants have planted bombs targeting Israeli forces in the past.
Gaza is controlled by the Islamic militant group Hamas. Bloodshed in the territory has decreased since Israel`s military offensive in Gaza just over two years ago, but rocket fire and border clashes have continued.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka