Israeli jets strike Gaza after Hamas offers truce
Gaza City: Israeli jets carried out a series of strikes in Gaza, wounding 17 people, mostly lightly, Palestinian emergency workers said.
They said that two women and seven children were among
those hurt in the strike carried out late yesterday and this
An Israeli military spokesman said aircraft attacked a
total of six targets.
"They were two terror tunnels, two arms manufacturing
facilities and two other sites," a spokesman told AFP, adding
that the tunnels were intended for staging attacks under the
border fence into Israel.
He said that the raids were in response to a wave of 56
rocket and mortar attacks from Gaza into Israel since
Another tunnel was hit in a single and separate attack
early Monday evening, the military said.
Palestinian witnesses said that among targets in the
north and centre of the strip were a police post of Hamas,
which rules Gaza, and a training facility of its military
wing, the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades which earlier offered to
stop cross-border fire into Israel if the Israelis halted
attacks on Gaza.
A factory producing construction materials and a metal
workshop were also hit, while in southern Gaza there were at
least three strikes in the vicinity of Khan Younis town,
One targeted a group of fleeing activists, one a building
belonging to the town council and another an empty plot, they
said, adding that no casualties were recorded.
Gaza residents reported receiving telephone calls from
the Israeli military urging them to leave the vicinity of
Ezzedine al-Qassam, which lobbed about 50 mortar rounds
into Israel on Saturday, made its truce offer in a statement
released after Israeli aircraft made their first raid on the
enclave yesterday evening.
It said Saturday`s barrage had been in response to an
Israeli strike last week which killed two of its members, but
that it was ready to call an end to the tit-for-tat violence
if Israel also did so.
"If the enemy stops the escalation and aggression against
our people we will implement the Palestinian national
agreement," the statement said, referring to a truce
reaffirmed by the main militant factions in January.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof