Israeli judge creates outrage with ‘there are girls who enjoy being raped’ remarks
Washington: A Tel Aviv district judge stunned his court when, during a hearing on a rape victim’s appeal to be recognized as a terror victim, he said "there are some girls who enjoy being raped".
The remarks by retired judge Nissim Yeshaya were quickly condemned by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, members of the Knesset’s Committee on the Status of Women, and even Israel’s Bar Association, reports The Washington Times.
Yeshaya was hearing the case of an Israeli woman who was attacked and raped in 2007, at the age of 13, by four Palestinian men.
The four were convicted and the woman later petitioned the Defense Ministry asking to be recognized as a victim of an act of terrorism.
The Defense Ministry denied the request and the court convened on Monday to hear the woman’s appeal, according to the report. Army Radio quoted the victim’s lawyer, Roni Aloni-Sadovnik, as saying her client was arguing that some circumstances justify such recognition, when Yeshaya suddenly said aloud that there are some girls who enjoy being raped.
Sadovnik said everyone in the room sat there in stunned silence.
Even the other judges on the panel fell silent for several minutes, she said, adding that when judges have such slips of the tongue, expressing what is really in their hearts, it is just the tip of the iceberg.
A statement released by the Courts Administration said there was never any intention to hurt or belittle the plight of rape victims and the judge apologized for his words.
The Court Administration will review the matter and the retired judge has been asked to provide the administration with clarification, the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands