Israeli judge quits after saying girls enjoy rape
Jerusalem: A Tel Aviv District Court judge has resigned following a public furore over comments he made in court that some girls "enjoy being raped."
Nissim Yeshaya was presiding over a hearing on the rape of a 13-year-old Israeli girl by four Palestinian youths when he made the comment. He apologised and said the remark was taken out of context.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was among officials who harshly criticised the judge. He also withdrew his support for Yeshaya`s appointment as head of his Likud Party`s internal court. Several lawmakers called for the judge`s immediate dismissal.
In a joint announcement today, Israel`s justice minister and the president of the Supreme Court said Yeshaya addressed a hearing, where he expressed his desire to leave his post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Japan PM pledges to invest $ 30 billion in Africa by 2018
- Kedar Jadhav, Shreyas Iyer power India A to easy six-wicket win
- Talks on Kashmir issue needed, want peace restored in Valley: Pak High Commissioner Abdul Basit
- Gold rebounds on jewellers' buying, silver jumps Rs 280/kg
- US Open 2016: Saketh Myneni advances to main draw