Israeli judge quits after saying girls enjoy rape
Jerusalem: A Tel Aviv District Court judge has resigned following a public furore over comments he made in court that some girls "enjoy being raped."
Nissim Yeshaya was presiding over a hearing on the rape of a 13-year-old Israeli girl by four Palestinian youths when he made the comment. He apologised and said the remark was taken out of context.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was among officials who harshly criticised the judge. He also withdrew his support for Yeshaya`s appointment as head of his Likud Party`s internal court. Several lawmakers called for the judge`s immediate dismissal.
In a joint announcement today, Israel`s justice minister and the president of the Supreme Court said Yeshaya addressed a hearing, where he expressed his desire to leave his post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing