Israeli judge quits after saying girls enjoy rape
Jerusalem: A Tel Aviv District Court judge has resigned following a public furore over comments he made in court that some girls "enjoy being raped."
Nissim Yeshaya was presiding over a hearing on the rape of a 13-year-old Israeli girl by four Palestinian youths when he made the comment. He apologised and said the remark was taken out of context.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was among officials who harshly criticised the judge. He also withdrew his support for Yeshaya`s appointment as head of his Likud Party`s internal court. Several lawmakers called for the judge`s immediate dismissal.
In a joint announcement today, Israel`s justice minister and the president of the Supreme Court said Yeshaya addressed a hearing, where he expressed his desire to leave his post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 2016 Rio Olympics: Russia bids to avoid ban as IOC reports new test failures
- What did she do that people tied her with rope and handed over to police? - Must read
- Assam flood situation grim, close to 3 lakh remain affected
- Sam Allardyce gets England job at second time of asking
- Multiple deaths reported in Munich shopping centre shooting, police operation underway