Israeli judge quits after saying girls enjoy rape
Jerusalem: A Tel Aviv District Court judge has resigned following a public furore over comments he made in court that some girls "enjoy being raped."
Nissim Yeshaya was presiding over a hearing on the rape of a 13-year-old Israeli girl by four Palestinian youths when he made the comment. He apologised and said the remark was taken out of context.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was among officials who harshly criticised the judge. He also withdrew his support for Yeshaya`s appointment as head of his Likud Party`s internal court. Several lawmakers called for the judge`s immediate dismissal.
In a joint announcement today, Israel`s justice minister and the president of the Supreme Court said Yeshaya addressed a hearing, where he expressed his desire to leave his post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?