Israeli leaders praise Fidel Castro
Jerusalem: Israeli leaders are praising former Cuban president Fidel Castro for supporting Israel in a series of interviews
Israeli President’s office says Shimon Peres sent Castro a personal letter on Saturday thanking him for his remarks. And Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu sent reporters text messages drawing attention to a series of interviews published in the Atlantic magazine early this month.
The Israeli praise is highly unusual, as Castro has traditionally supported the Palestinians and has been highly critical of the Jewish state in the past.
In the interview, Castro chided Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for denying the Holocaust, in which some six million Jews were killed by the Nazi`s during World War II.
In another interview, Castro said Israel has the right to exist as a Jewish state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'