Israeli MP`s pose questions over Australian`s prison death
Jerusalem/Melbourne: Amid reports that an Australian, suspected of links to Israel`s Mossad spy agency, was found hanged in an Israeli prison cell in 2010 after being secretly held for several months, Israeli MPs today posed tough questions over the sensitive issue.
Australian television network ABC aired an investigative report today revealing that Ben Zygier, an Australian national, who was held in complete isolation at the Ayalon Prison in Ramla, had died in a high-security cell in late 2010.
He had committed suicide according to official documents.
The report claimed that in the years before the arrest of the man, he had worked for the Mossad spy agency.
Israel, the report said, made efforts to keep the case and the prisoner`s existence a secret.
The 28-minute programme revealed that Ben Zygier, who was in his 30s when he died, used the name Ben Alon while living in Israel. He was married to an Israeli woman and had two small children.
In June 2010, the Israeli news site Ynet briefly reported on the existence of the prisoner, identified only as `Prisoner X` whose crimes were unknown, but that report was removed from the site shortly after it was posted.
Ynet later that year reported that a prisoner had committed suicide while in solitary confinement. That report was also quickly removed.
Left wing Meretz party head, Zahava Gal-On, reacted sharply to comments made by lawmaker Miri Regev (of ruling right-wing Likud Beteinu party), who accused her of undermining the country`s security by discussing the Australian prisoner affair during a Knesset session yesterday.
"Following Miri Regev`s appeal to the attorney general to prosecute me and the two MKs (lawmakers) who addressed the Australian prisoner affair, I would like to suggest that before shouting, Regev learn a thing or two about the duty of lawmakers and the reasons for the existence of parliamentary immunity," Gal-On wrote on her Facebook page.
"We Knesset members are here to take care of the public interest, not to come between the public and the authorities and hide information, especially when this information is already published all over the world", she said.
"Miri Regev is using the `security` excuse to justify silencing and empty incitement. The gag order has nothing to do with a security risk but is aimed at `not embarrassing` the authorities," she added.
Regev, a former spokesperson for the Israeli army and chief military censor, wrote on her Facebook page this morning that "MKs Dov Khenin, Ahmad Tibi and Zahava Gal-On took advantage of their immunity to undermine the State`s security".
"I have turned to the Knesset`s Ethics Committee to discuss this violation immediately. I will also turn to the attorney general," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark