Israeli musician conducts concert in Gaza
United Nations: Renowned Israeli conductor
Daniel Barenboim led a team of European musicians in a concert
featuring several pieces of Mozart to express solidarity with
Palestinians in the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip.
Barenboim, 68, who is also a messenger of peace for the
UN, said that the aim of the concert, held yesterday, was to
express solidarity with Palestinian residents in the region.
"Maybe by doing this, all the people in this area,
Palestinians, Israelis, Egyptians, will realise that we are
here to live somehow next to each other in this part of the
world and we can live side by side and not back to back," the
maestro said, as quoted by the UN News Service.
"They are musicians who care about humanity; they are
musicians who care about the problem," he added, alluding to
members of his orchestra.
The `Orchestra for Gaza` is drawn from the ranks of the
Berlin Philharmonic, the Vienna Philharmonic, Orchestre de
Paris, La Scala of Milan and Staatskapelle Berlin, according
to the UN
The performance was reportedly attended by hundreds of
"The Secretary-General (Ban Ki-moon) appreciates the
efforts of Daniel Barenboim and the many musicians who gave
their time and talent to bring music to Gaza," said a
statement from the office of the UN chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH