Israeli official warns of Syrian chemical weapons
Jerusalem: A senior Israeli Cabinet minister has warned that the transfer of Syria`s chemical weapons to Hezbollah guerrillas in Lebanon could trigger an Israeli attack.
Vice Prime Minister Silvan Shalom confirmed to Israel`s Army Radio that top security officials held a special meeting last week to discuss Syria`s chemical weapons arsenal.
Israel has long expressed concerns that embattled Syrian President Bashar Assad, clinging to power after a 22-month civil war, could lose control over his chemical weapons.
Shalom says the transfer of weapons to groups hostile to Israel, particularly Hezbollah, would cross a "red line."
"It would be crossing a line that would demand a different approach, including even action," he said. Asked whether this might mean a pre-emptive attack, he said: "We will have to make the decisions."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir