Israeli officials say Syria gives Hezbollah Scud
Jerusalem: Israeli defence officials said
Thursday they believe Hezbollah has Scud missiles that could hit
all of Israel, a day after Israel`s president accused Syria of
supplying the Lebanese guerrillas with the weapons for the
Israeli officials say the introduction of Scuds could
alter the strategic balance with Hezbollah, the Iranian-backed
militia that battled Israel to a stalemate during a month-long
war in 2006.
President Shimon Peres, speaking in Paris, charged that
Syria is playing a double game, talking about peace, while "it
is delivering Scuds to Hezbollah to threaten Israel,"
according to a statement from his office.
The remarks by Peres, whose position is largely
ceremonial, went beyond public assessments of senior Israeli
defence figures. He gave no details.
In Washington, the Syrian Embassy dismissed the
allegations and accused Israel of trying to divert attention
from questions about Israel`s nuclear program. Israel is
widely believed to possess nuclear arms, though it does not
confirm or deny this.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month
- Outstanding! Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is unstoppable at the Box Office – Read more