Israeli officials say Syria gives Hezbollah Scud
Jerusalem: Israeli defence officials said
Thursday they believe Hezbollah has Scud missiles that could hit
all of Israel, a day after Israel`s president accused Syria of
supplying the Lebanese guerrillas with the weapons for the
Israeli officials say the introduction of Scuds could
alter the strategic balance with Hezbollah, the Iranian-backed
militia that battled Israel to a stalemate during a month-long
war in 2006.
President Shimon Peres, speaking in Paris, charged that
Syria is playing a double game, talking about peace, while "it
is delivering Scuds to Hezbollah to threaten Israel,"
according to a statement from his office.
The remarks by Peres, whose position is largely
ceremonial, went beyond public assessments of senior Israeli
defence figures. He gave no details.
In Washington, the Syrian Embassy dismissed the
allegations and accused Israel of trying to divert attention
from questions about Israel`s nuclear program. Israel is
widely believed to possess nuclear arms, though it does not
confirm or deny this.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India