Israeli officials say Syria gives Hezbollah Scud
Jerusalem: Israeli defence officials said
Thursday they believe Hezbollah has Scud missiles that could hit
all of Israel, a day after Israel`s president accused Syria of
supplying the Lebanese guerrillas with the weapons for the
Israeli officials say the introduction of Scuds could
alter the strategic balance with Hezbollah, the Iranian-backed
militia that battled Israel to a stalemate during a month-long
war in 2006.
President Shimon Peres, speaking in Paris, charged that
Syria is playing a double game, talking about peace, while "it
is delivering Scuds to Hezbollah to threaten Israel,"
according to a statement from his office.
The remarks by Peres, whose position is largely
ceremonial, went beyond public assessments of senior Israeli
defence figures. He gave no details.
In Washington, the Syrian Embassy dismissed the
allegations and accused Israel of trying to divert attention
from questions about Israel`s nuclear program. Israel is
widely believed to possess nuclear arms, though it does not
confirm or deny this.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed