Israeli officials say Syria gives Hezbollah Scud
Jerusalem: Israeli defence officials said
Thursday they believe Hezbollah has Scud missiles that could hit
all of Israel, a day after Israel`s president accused Syria of
supplying the Lebanese guerrillas with the weapons for the
Israeli officials say the introduction of Scuds could
alter the strategic balance with Hezbollah, the Iranian-backed
militia that battled Israel to a stalemate during a month-long
war in 2006.
President Shimon Peres, speaking in Paris, charged that
Syria is playing a double game, talking about peace, while "it
is delivering Scuds to Hezbollah to threaten Israel,"
according to a statement from his office.
The remarks by Peres, whose position is largely
ceremonial, went beyond public assessments of senior Israeli
defence figures. He gave no details.
In Washington, the Syrian Embassy dismissed the
allegations and accused Israel of trying to divert attention
from questions about Israel`s nuclear program. Israel is
widely believed to possess nuclear arms, though it does not
confirm or deny this.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'