Israeli, Palestinian leaders meet in secret
Ramallah: Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has secretly met Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak in Jordan in the presence of Jordan`s King Abdullah II, Xinhua reported on Monday.
A Palestinian source said the meeting held in Amman last week focused on efforts to resume peace talks between Israel and Palestine and their plans to seek a state recognition through the UN.
Israel and the US, the sponsor of the peace process that has stalled since 2010, oppose the Palestinian approach to the UN as a unilateral step. This time, the Palestinians seek an upgrade to a non-member state in the international organisation.
The source told Xinhua that Barak, also the head of the Labor Party, briefed Abbas on his initiative that envisages a unilateral withdrawal from the West Bank.
Abbas reiterated his position against any plan envisioning a Palestine state with provisional boundaries.
Abbas did not meet any other member of the Israeli government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Uttarakhand forest fire: Director of Delhi's Fire Dept to visit hill state today, govt to press MI-17 choppers; at least 6 dead
- First phase of NEET examination today as Supreme Court says allow exam to be held
- Andhra Pradesh to become first 'Open Defecation Free' state
- SC, ST promotions: Shivraj Singh-led government to move Supreme Court
- Bombed Brussels airport departure hall to reopen today