Israeli, Palestinian leaders meet in secret
Ramallah: Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has secretly met Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak in Jordan in the presence of Jordan`s King Abdullah II, Xinhua reported on Monday.
A Palestinian source said the meeting held in Amman last week focused on efforts to resume peace talks between Israel and Palestine and their plans to seek a state recognition through the UN.
Israel and the US, the sponsor of the peace process that has stalled since 2010, oppose the Palestinian approach to the UN as a unilateral step. This time, the Palestinians seek an upgrade to a non-member state in the international organisation.
The source told Xinhua that Barak, also the head of the Labor Party, briefed Abbas on his initiative that envisages a unilateral withdrawal from the West Bank.
Abbas reiterated his position against any plan envisioning a Palestine state with provisional boundaries.
Abbas did not meet any other member of the Israeli government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical