Israeli, Palestinian leaders meet in secret
Ramallah: Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has secretly met Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak in Jordan in the presence of Jordan`s King Abdullah II, Xinhua reported on Monday.
A Palestinian source said the meeting held in Amman last week focused on efforts to resume peace talks between Israel and Palestine and their plans to seek a state recognition through the UN.
Israel and the US, the sponsor of the peace process that has stalled since 2010, oppose the Palestinian approach to the UN as a unilateral step. This time, the Palestinians seek an upgrade to a non-member state in the international organisation.
The source told Xinhua that Barak, also the head of the Labor Party, briefed Abbas on his initiative that envisages a unilateral withdrawal from the West Bank.
Abbas reiterated his position against any plan envisioning a Palestine state with provisional boundaries.
Abbas did not meet any other member of the Israeli government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof