Israeli PM freezes construction project in East Jerusalem
Jerusalem: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has put on ice a project for the construction of some 900 apartments in occupied East Jerusalem, Israel Channel 10 television reported late Wednesday.
His order to freeze the project followed intense US pressure and comes a day after he held long-delayed talks in Jerusalem with US President Barack Obama`s special envoy to the Middle East, George Mitchell.
The houses were planned to be built in Pisgat Ze`ev, one of several Jewish neighbourhoods of Jerusalem built on occupied territory - beyond the "green" armistice line separating Israel from the West Bank.
Palestinians want East Jerusalem - those districts of the city to the east of the green line - to be the capital of their future state.
Israel captured East Jerusalem, including the historic Old City with its Jewish, Muslim, Christian and Armenian quarters, and the West Bank from Jordan in the 1967 Middle East war.
It has since annexed East Jerusalem, and Netanyahu, of the hardline Likud party who took office in March, has vowed he will not re-divide the city.
The previous Israeli government of centrist premier Ehud Olmert made no secret of its continued construction in Jewish settlements in and around East Jerusalem. Unlike Netanyahu, Olmert however had called for handing over Arab neighbourhoods of the city to Palestinian sovereignty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand