Israeli PM freezes construction project in East Jerusalem
Jerusalem: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has put on ice a project for the construction of some 900 apartments in occupied East Jerusalem, Israel Channel 10 television reported late Wednesday.
His order to freeze the project followed intense US pressure and comes a day after he held long-delayed talks in Jerusalem with US President Barack Obama`s special envoy to the Middle East, George Mitchell.
The houses were planned to be built in Pisgat Ze`ev, one of several Jewish neighbourhoods of Jerusalem built on occupied territory - beyond the "green" armistice line separating Israel from the West Bank.
Palestinians want East Jerusalem - those districts of the city to the east of the green line - to be the capital of their future state.
Israel captured East Jerusalem, including the historic Old City with its Jewish, Muslim, Christian and Armenian quarters, and the West Bank from Jordan in the 1967 Middle East war.
It has since annexed East Jerusalem, and Netanyahu, of the hardline Likud party who took office in March, has vowed he will not re-divide the city.
The previous Israeli government of centrist premier Ehud Olmert made no secret of its continued construction in Jewish settlements in and around East Jerusalem. Unlike Netanyahu, Olmert however had called for handing over Arab neighbourhoods of the city to Palestinian sovereignty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation