Israeli PM offers help to South Sudan
Jerusalem: Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday held talks with the President of newly independent South Sudan, Salva Kiir, on the telephone and offered Israeli help, the Premier`s office said.
"The people of Israel want the success of your country. We know how difficult it is to start with nothing," he told Kiir, four days after the declaration of South Sudan`s independence.
"We have the experience and we`ve helped a lot of African countries in the areas of infrastructure, development and agriculture," he said, according to a statement issued by his office.
Israel, which itself was established in 1948, formally recognised the world`s newest nation on Sunday.
Netanyahu at the time described impoverished but resources-rich South Sudan as a "peace-seeking country" and said Israel "would be pleased to cooperate with it in order to ensure its development and prosperity”.
The overtures suggest Israel would seek diplomatic ties with the government in Juba. The Jewish state does not have relations with Khartoum, which it has accused of serving as a base for Islamic militants.
According to Israeli media, experts from Israel, especially in agriculture, are already active in South Sudan.
The Jewish state supported the rebel movement of the mainly Christian and animist south in its decades of struggle against the Khartoum government in Muslim north Sudan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Afghan Taliban confirms death of Mansour, names Haibatullah Akhundzada as new leader
- We envy you, Sonakshi Sinha!– Here's why
- Aishwarya wanted to be discussed: Sonam Kapoor on 'purple lips' at Cannes
- German bakery blast convict attacks Yug Chandak murder convict Daware in jail
- Mahresult.nic.in HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: MSBSHSE Class 12th XII Exam Results 2016 to be declared today on hscresult.mkcl.org - how to check