Israeli police clash with ultra-Orthodox Jews over graves
Jaffa (Israel): At least 15 people were
wounded as Israeli police clashed on Wednesday with hundreds of
ultra-Orthodox Jews protesting construction at a site they say
contains Jewish graves.
Baton-wielding police, many on horseback, charged the
protesters to disperse them, wounding at least 10
demonstrators, according to an AFP photographer.
The protesters hurled bottles and stones at police,
lightly wounding five officers, said police spokesman Micky
Rosenfeld. He said he had no details on how many protesters
"Other units have been called in to help disperse the
protesters," said Rosenfeld.
Construction workers at the site in Jaffa, on the
southern edge of Tel Aviv, had found several old graves when
they were digging the foundations of a building.
Building on sites believed to contain Jewish graves
frequently provokes fury among the ultra-Orthodox community
for whom the disturbance of Jewish remains is forbidden under
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?