Israeli police disperse Muslim worshipers at holy site
Jerusalem: Israeli police dispersed hundreds of Muslim worshipers at a holy site in the old city of Jerusalem Friday afternoon for allegedly throwing stones at Israeli soldiers and police officers.
The incident followed a week of confrontations between right- wing Jews and Muslims on the site, known to Jews as the Temple Mount and to Muslims the Noble Sanctuary.
Police arrested 14 Jews and Arabs during the past week, including Likud activist Moshe Feiglin, for various incidents involving violence and refusing to obey police officers.
Toward the end of Friday prayers, hundreds of Muslim worshipers streamed out of the Al-Aqsa mosque and started throwing stones at the soldiers and border police, Israeli media reported, quoting Jerusalem deputy police spokesman Shlomit Bajshi.
Police responded with force, including shock grenades. Two people were injured from the stone throwing.
An Arab man also attempted to stab a police officer next to one of the gates leading to the site. The knife was recovered and the man was arrested, according to national police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld.
Police anticipated possible disturbances at the site, heightening security and bringing extra units of police, border police, and soldiers both in the area of the Temple Mount and at Mugrahbi gate, said Rosenfeld.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof