Israeli police flatten mosque, say built illegally
Rahat: Israeli police say they demolished an illegally built mosque in the southern Bedouin city of Rahat, touching off rock-throwing protests by residents.
Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said the two-storey mosque was knocked down on Sunday in keeping with a court ruling.
Mosque activist Yousef Abu-Jama said residents built the structure illegally because Israeli authorities would take too long to issue approval.
Authorities rarely target mosques for demolition. This particular mosque was financed by a group that is frequently in conflict with authorities.
Critics note that Israeli authorities have not yet acted on a court ruling to evacuate Jewish settlers from a building in disputed east Jerusalem that was illegally expanded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets