Israeli police flatten mosque, say built illegally
Rahat: Israeli police say they demolished an illegally built mosque in the southern Bedouin city of Rahat, touching off rock-throwing protests by residents.
Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said the two-storey mosque was knocked down on Sunday in keeping with a court ruling.
Mosque activist Yousef Abu-Jama said residents built the structure illegally because Israeli authorities would take too long to issue approval.
Authorities rarely target mosques for demolition. This particular mosque was financed by a group that is frequently in conflict with authorities.
Critics note that Israeli authorities have not yet acted on a court ruling to evacuate Jewish settlers from a building in disputed east Jerusalem that was illegally expanded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Amartya Sen says Modi govt ousted him from Nalanda University
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends