Israeli police flatten mosque, say built illegally
Rahat: Israeli police say they demolished an illegally built mosque in the southern Bedouin city of Rahat, touching off rock-throwing protests by residents.
Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said the two-storey mosque was knocked down on Sunday in keeping with a court ruling.
Mosque activist Yousef Abu-Jama said residents built the structure illegally because Israeli authorities would take too long to issue approval.
Authorities rarely target mosques for demolition. This particular mosque was financed by a group that is frequently in conflict with authorities.
Critics note that Israeli authorities have not yet acted on a court ruling to evacuate Jewish settlers from a building in disputed east Jerusalem that was illegally expanded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming