Israeli rocket defence system to go online
Jerusalem: The Israeli military says a new defence system against rockets fired from the Gaza Strip will now become operational in the south of the country.
The Iron Dome anti-rocket system will go online in the area of Beersheba, southern Israel`s largest city on Sunday, the military said, adding that a second missile battery will be deployed soon in another large southern city, Ashdod, without specifying an exact date.
Defence Minister Ehud Barak announced last week that the new system was being put into place after weeks of stepped up Palestinian rocket and mortar attacks and Israeli reprisals.
Gaza`s militant Hamas rulers have said they would ceasefire if Israel does.
Israel has said it does not want the violence to escalate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state