Israeli security forces dismantle Palestinian protest camp
Ramallah/Jerusalem: Israeli security forces used force Saturday to disperse Palestinian activists attempting to set up a camp in West Bank in protest of Israeli expansion of settlement, witnesses and medics said, reported Xinhua.
Dozens of Israeli soldiers used tear gas and stun grenades Saturday afternoon to disperse dozens of Palestinian activists who were erecting a "tent village" near the West Bank village of Burin to protest Israeli plans to confiscate the land for settlement expansions, witnesses said.
Medics said more than 20 activists fainted after inhaling tear gas and were treated at the scene.
The activists pitched eight tents and decorated them with Palestinian flags in the mountainous area in south of Nablus, which the Israeli army has announced as a closed zone months ago. They named the tent camp "Al-Nawateer", and said 80 percent of its land was used or allocated for the use of Jewish settlement activities.
Clashes erupted as Israeli soldiers dismantled the tents. According to the Times of Israel website, settlers nearby were hurling stones at the protesters. Israeli website Ynet said a settler sustained light injuries and a Palestinian sustained injuries the severity of which is unclear.
The Israeli Defense Forces spokesperson unit is yet to confirm the details of the report.
Five Palestinians were arrested during clashes with Israeli forces, local sources reported.
This is the fourth camp of this kind erected by Palestinian protesters in the past month against Israel`s expansion of settlements in the West Bank.
In January, Israeli security forces took down a protest camp north of Jerusalem after the Civil Administration, the authority ruling civil matters in the West Bank territories, issued an eviction order for it.
Two other camps followed in the area of Beit Iksa in recent weeks, but were immediately taken down by the Israeli security forces.
Ghassan Daghlas, head of the Palestinian popular resistance movement, said 400 activists held Saturday a sit-in in the area, adding that the Israeli army intensified its presence there, blocking roads leading to the tent village.
The village is located in Area B of the West Bank, where Israel retains security control while the Palestinian National Authority`s (PNA) mandate is limited to administrative issues.
The activists started building tent villages since the beginning of 2013, in a bid to draw attention to the confiscation of lands before Israel starts any activity on the lands.
On Thursday, an investigation committee formed by the United Nations Human Rights Council called on Israel to stop settlement expansions in the lands it occupied in 1967. The investigators urged Israel to evacuate its settlements in the West Bank.
The settlement activities caused Israeli-Palestinian peace talks to break down in 2010
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah