Israeli shot by police in West Bank, Army says
Jerusalem: An Israeli worshipper who was killed near a flashpoint West Bank shrine on Sunday was shot dead by Palestinian policemen, the Israeli military said, citing information from Palestinian officials.
One man was killed and four wounded when they came under fire as their cars left Joseph`s Tomb in the West Bank city of Nablus on Sunday, Israeli medics said.
"Palestinian officials have notified... (Israeli) officials that the civilians were shot by a Palestinian policeman who, after identifying suspicious movements, fired at their direction," Israel`s military said.
Medics said one man was in serious condition with a gunshot wound to the stomach, while a second was in moderate condition with a bullet wound to his shoulder. The two others were wounded lightly.
The incident occurred as the worshippers left the tomb, which they had entered unescorted and without permission, the Army said.
Joseph`s Tomb, which is in an area under full Palestinian control, is off-limits to Jewish worshippers outside of military-organised and escorted trips.
The escorted visits, which are coordinated with Palestinian security forces in the area, generally take place about once a month, but religious Jews have regularly visited the tomb without permission.
The Israeli Army said that military and civil administration officials would meet with Palestinian security representatives later Sunday to discuss the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark