Israeli strike wounds two Palestinian militants in Gaza
Gaza City: An Israeli air strike wounded two Palestinian militants in the southern Gaza Strip today, medical and security sources said.
"Two Palestinians were hit and injured by an Israeli drone while they were riding on a motorbike east of Khan Yunis," Gaza`s Hamas-run health ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qudra told AFP.
Palestinian security sources described the two as "militants", without saying to which group they belonged.
The Israeli army confirmed the strike in a statement, saying it had "intercepted terrorists during their final preparations to launch rockets towards Israel".
The strike came after three mortar rounds were fired at Israeli troops along the southern border fence, causing no injuries or damage, it said.
Yesterday, an Islamic Jihad militant was killed near Gaza City in what medics and family said was an Israeli drone strike, but the army denied any involvement.
In recent weeks, tensions have risen in and around Gaza after a year of relative calm, with five people killed since December 20. Four of the victims were Palestinian and one was Israeli.
More than a dozen Palestinians have also been wounded over the same period by gunfire or in Israeli air raids on targets in the territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- David Cameron's successor - Britain's next Prime Minister: Who, how and when?
- Ricardo Quaresma heads Portugal into Euro 2016 quarters
- Michael Sheen to make directorial debut in killer movie
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics