Israeli teachers get bonus for promoting Army recruitment
Jerusalem: Israel`s education ministry is trying to encourage army recruitment in high schools across the country by giving economic benefits to those teachers that motivate more students to join the military draft.
The ministry confirmed Monday that it is awarding educators with "differential positive incentives" to improve the teachers performance on different subjects like academic achievement, social values, and also on the percentage of students who join the army service after their studies.
According to a letter sent to Xinhua by the ministry, the schools that rank among the top 40 percent of recruited students, will receive funds to grant bonuses to their educators.
This new reward system, established by the ministry a year ago, has been criticized by some as dangerous to national and regional peace, since it may lead to indoctrination and extreme nationalism.
"Educating to prepare for the army and to encourage enlistment comes at the expense of regular education, which is meant to educate for democracy and citizenship," Sharaf Hassan, educational director for the Association for Civil Rights in Israel, told The Christian Science Monitor about the new incentives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa