Israeli teachers get bonus for promoting Army recruitment
Jerusalem: Israel`s education ministry is trying to encourage army recruitment in high schools across the country by giving economic benefits to those teachers that motivate more students to join the military draft.
The ministry confirmed Monday that it is awarding educators with "differential positive incentives" to improve the teachers performance on different subjects like academic achievement, social values, and also on the percentage of students who join the army service after their studies.
According to a letter sent to Xinhua by the ministry, the schools that rank among the top 40 percent of recruited students, will receive funds to grant bonuses to their educators.
This new reward system, established by the ministry a year ago, has been criticized by some as dangerous to national and regional peace, since it may lead to indoctrination and extreme nationalism.
"Educating to prepare for the army and to encourage enlistment comes at the expense of regular education, which is meant to educate for democracy and citizenship," Sharaf Hassan, educational director for the Association for Civil Rights in Israel, told The Christian Science Monitor about the new incentives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation