Israeli troops gird for more Syria border violence
Majdal Shams: Israeli troops are bracing for more border violence after a day of deadly clashes with pro-Palestinian protesters who tried to surge into the Israeli-controlled Golan Heights from Syria.
Several dozen demonstrators were camped out on the Syrian side of the border overnight, but the Israeli military says all was quiet early Monday.
Syrian TV had reported that 20 people died and dozens more were wounded on Sunday by Israeli soldiers who opened fire to block protesters from entering Israeli-controlled territory.
Israel blamed the regime in Damascus for the violence, accusing it of instigating border unrest to deflect attention from a brutal crackdown on opposition forces at home.
The marchers passed by Syrian and UN outposts on their way to the frontier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan