Israeli troops gird for more Syria border violence
Majdal Shams: Israeli troops are bracing for more border violence after a day of deadly clashes with pro-Palestinian protesters who tried to surge into the Israeli-controlled Golan Heights from Syria.
Several dozen demonstrators were camped out on the Syrian side of the border overnight, but the Israeli military says all was quiet early Monday.
Syrian TV had reported that 20 people died and dozens more were wounded on Sunday by Israeli soldiers who opened fire to block protesters from entering Israeli-controlled territory.
Israel blamed the regime in Damascus for the violence, accusing it of instigating border unrest to deflect attention from a brutal crackdown on opposition forces at home.
The marchers passed by Syrian and UN outposts on their way to the frontier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!