Israeli troops gird for more Syria border violence
Majdal Shams: Israeli troops are bracing for more border violence after a day of deadly clashes with pro-Palestinian protesters who tried to surge into the Israeli-controlled Golan Heights from Syria.
Several dozen demonstrators were camped out on the Syrian side of the border overnight, but the Israeli military says all was quiet early Monday.
Syrian TV had reported that 20 people died and dozens more were wounded on Sunday by Israeli soldiers who opened fire to block protesters from entering Israeli-controlled territory.
Israel blamed the regime in Damascus for the violence, accusing it of instigating border unrest to deflect attention from a brutal crackdown on opposition forces at home.
The marchers passed by Syrian and UN outposts on their way to the frontier.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy