Israeli troops kill Palestinian at West Bank checkpoint
Jerusalem: Israeli troops on Sunday shot and killed a Palestinian who approached them at a West Bank checkpoint holding a bottle, the Israeli military and Palestinian officials said.
A military spokeswoman said the man, identified by Palestinian officials as 24-year-old Ahmed Muslamani, did not heed orders to halt, and they opened fire as he came closer.
Muslamani was shot in the chest and leg, said a Palestinian medical worker who collected the body at the Israeli military checkpoint near the West Bank city of Nablus.
The military spokeswoman said she did not know the contents of the glass bottle. "The soldiers apparently felt threatened," she said.
Violence in the occupied West Bank has largely tapered off in the past few years as a result of security measures by Israel and a bolstered Palestinian police force supervised by Western-backed Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas` government.
But on Saturday, a Palestinian woman died after inhaling gas that had been fired by Israeli forces quelling a protest a day earlier against Israel`s West Bank barrier near the village of Bilin, a senior Palestinian medical official said.
The Israeli military said troops had employed riot dispersal means against stone throwers and the circumstances of the woman`s death were under investigation.
In other violence on Sunday, Israeli aircraft attacked targets in the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip, wounding two Palestinians, medical officials in the territory said.
The Israeli military said a "Hamas terror activity centre in northern Gaza and a weapons manufacturing facility in central Gaza" were hit in response to a rocket strike on Israel on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon