Israeli, Turk meet in secret talks: Report
Jerusalem: An envoy for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held secret talks on Wednesday with Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu on salvaging ties frayed by the Gaza ship raid, Israeli and Turkish media reported.
The envoy, Israeli Trade and Industry Minister Benjamin Ben-Eliezer, met Davutoglu in Brussels, Turkey`s NTV news channel said, adding that they agreed to continue the talks at an undisclosed time and location.
A similar report on Israel`s Channel Two television did not specify the venue for the meeting, but said Ben-Eliezer`s unannounced fence-mending mission had taken him through Zurich.
A spokeswoman for the Turkish embassy in Tel Aviv said she had no knowledge of such a meeting, which could mark an easing of Ankara`s fury at Israel over its killing of nine Turks aboard an aid ship bound for the blockaded Gaza Strip on May 31.
Asked about the Channel Two report, Netanyahu`s office said in a statement: "Minister Ben-Eliezer informed the Prime Minister of an offer by a Turkish figure to hold an unofficial meeting. The Prime Minister saw nothing to prevent such a meeting, as in recent weeks there have been various initiatives for contacts with Turkey."
Israel, which strictly controls Gaza`s borders in what it says is a precaution against arms smuggling, has defended the actions of marines who boarded the pro-Palestinian ship, arguing they opened fire after being attacked with knives and clubs.
But following Western criticism, including from its largest ally the United States, Israel has since eased a land blockade of Gaza where 1.5 million Palestinians live, allowing most civilian goods through, while continuing to enforce a naval embargo of the coastal territory.
It also launched on Monday a commission of inquiry into the interception of the ship, though the panel`s make-up and limited powers have been criticised by Turkey, which withdrew its ambassador to Israel and cancelled joint military exercises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row