Israelis celebrate 65 years of independence
Jerusalem: Israel is celebrating 65 years of independence with barbeques, air force flyovers, and an international bible quiz.
Top Israeli leaders began today`s festivities by singing peppy standards in a televised event recognizing Israeli soldiers.
In an address, President Shimon Peres said Israel`s enemies have tried for decades to destroy the Jewish state, and that Israel`s wars against them have been just. He said Israel would defend itself against dangers from Hezbollah and Hamas militants, and called Iran`s leadership one of "craziness."
Israeli military chief Lt. Gen. Benny Gantz said Israel`s army will continue to defend Israelis until "the day that peace comes."
The festivities, which began yesterday night, come just a day after the country mourned its war dead during its annual Remembrance Day commemorations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM