Israelis celebrate 65 years of independence
Jerusalem: Israel is celebrating 65 years of independence with barbeques, air force flyovers, and an international bible quiz.
Top Israeli leaders began today`s festivities by singing peppy standards in a televised event recognizing Israeli soldiers.
In an address, President Shimon Peres said Israel`s enemies have tried for decades to destroy the Jewish state, and that Israel`s wars against them have been just. He said Israel would defend itself against dangers from Hezbollah and Hamas militants, and called Iran`s leadership one of "craziness."
Israeli military chief Lt. Gen. Benny Gantz said Israel`s army will continue to defend Israelis until "the day that peace comes."
The festivities, which began yesterday night, come just a day after the country mourned its war dead during its annual Remembrance Day commemorations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon