Israelis celebrate 65 years of independence
Jerusalem: Israel is celebrating 65 years of independence with barbeques, air force flyovers, and an international bible quiz.
Top Israeli leaders began today`s festivities by singing peppy standards in a televised event recognizing Israeli soldiers.
In an address, President Shimon Peres said Israel`s enemies have tried for decades to destroy the Jewish state, and that Israel`s wars against them have been just. He said Israel would defend itself against dangers from Hezbollah and Hamas militants, and called Iran`s leadership one of "craziness."
Israeli military chief Lt. Gen. Benny Gantz said Israel`s army will continue to defend Israelis until "the day that peace comes."
The festivities, which began yesterday night, come just a day after the country mourned its war dead during its annual Remembrance Day commemorations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi