Israelis, Palestinians clash at West Bank site
Bilin: Israeli forces fired tear gas at some 200 stone-throwing Palestinians
on Thursday in the West Bank village of Bilin, focus of years of
protests against Israel`s controversial separation barrier.
The Palestinians used bulldozers to try and bring down
the fence during the protests that were briefly attended by
Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad, who led Friday
prayers before departing, a photographer said.
Bilin is the site of weekly protests against the
fence, but the demonstrations took on extra significance as
the Israeli army began removing parts of the fence this week.
The military is altering the course of the barrier in
the area, finally carrying out a 2007 Supreme Court ruling
that said it significantly impinged on the property rights of
During today`s protest some 200 Palestinians took part
in what the army called an "illegal riot."
The army used "riot dispersal means" and no live fire
was used, an military spokesman said. There were no immediate
reports of injuries.
Israel says the barrier is designed to prevent
attacks, but the Palestinians view it as an "apartheid wall"
that carves off key parts of their promised state.
When the 709-kilometre (435-mile) barrier is complete,
85 percent of it will have been built inside the occupied West
The Palestinians` protests against the barrier in
Bilin have resulted in sometimes deadly consequences.
In January, woman protester Jawaher Abu Rahmah, died,
apparently after inhaling tear gas. Her brother Bassem Abu
Rahmah had died in April 2009 after being hit on the head by a
In a non-binding 2004 judgement, the International
Court of Justice called for the dismantling of all parts of
the separation barrier built on occupied territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm