Israelis, Palestinians clash at West Bank site
Bilin: Israeli forces fired tear gas at some 200 stone-throwing Palestinians
on Thursday in the West Bank village of Bilin, focus of years of
protests against Israel`s controversial separation barrier.
The Palestinians used bulldozers to try and bring down
the fence during the protests that were briefly attended by
Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad, who led Friday
prayers before departing, a photographer said.
Bilin is the site of weekly protests against the
fence, but the demonstrations took on extra significance as
the Israeli army began removing parts of the fence this week.
The military is altering the course of the barrier in
the area, finally carrying out a 2007 Supreme Court ruling
that said it significantly impinged on the property rights of
During today`s protest some 200 Palestinians took part
in what the army called an "illegal riot."
The army used "riot dispersal means" and no live fire
was used, an military spokesman said. There were no immediate
reports of injuries.
Israel says the barrier is designed to prevent
attacks, but the Palestinians view it as an "apartheid wall"
that carves off key parts of their promised state.
When the 709-kilometre (435-mile) barrier is complete,
85 percent of it will have been built inside the occupied West
The Palestinians` protests against the barrier in
Bilin have resulted in sometimes deadly consequences.
In January, woman protester Jawaher Abu Rahmah, died,
apparently after inhaling tear gas. Her brother Bassem Abu
Rahmah had died in April 2009 after being hit on the head by a
In a non-binding 2004 judgement, the International
Court of Justice called for the dismantling of all parts of
the separation barrier built on occupied territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27