Israelis protest racist attack in Jerusalem
Jerusalem: More than 100 Jewish activists gathered at a Jerusalem shopping centre on Wednesday night to protest at an attack by Jewish football fans on Israeli Arabs last week.
Members of the Association for Civil Rights in Israel, the Israeli Conservative (Masorti) Movement and other groups stood outside the Malcha mall, holding signs in English, Hebrew and Arabic condemning the attack.
Supporters of Beitar Jerusalem football club assaulted Arab employees at the Malcha mall and chanted "death to Arabs" during the attack, according to media reports.
Protesters told a news agency that "if things had happened the other way around”, that Arabs attacked Jews, "hundreds would have been in prison”.
The activists then entered the shopping centre and handed out flowers to Arab labourers.
Police on Sunday said they have launched an investigation based on CCTV footage.
The incident was first reported by Israeli newspaper Haaretz, which said "hundreds" of Beitar Jerusalem fans had crowded into the mall after a match at a nearby stadium.
The newspaper said the fans spat on several Arab women sitting nearby with their children. When Arab employees at the mall tried to intervene, the fans assaulted them, Haaretz said.
Police said no investigation was opened at the time because no complaint was filed.
Fans of Beitar Jerusalem, which has never had an Arab player, have long been associated with anti-Arab racism, and the team has been sanctioned in the past for the behaviour of its supporters. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- India responds to Pakistan's offer for talks, says will discuss only cross-border terror
- CAUGHT ON CAMERA: This man doesn't give a damn to traffic rules, threatens people on Noida roads; his car has VIP horn - WATCH
- Mercedes GLE 400 4MATIC petrol variant launched in India at Rs 74.9 lakh
- Attention parents! Childhood head injury may up mental illness, mortality risk
- My mom gets worried about controversies: Sonakshi Sinha