Israel`s Barak gets death threats over settlements in W Bank
Jerusalem: Enraged by a government decision to put a temporary freeze on settlement activities in the West Bank, a right wing extremist has threatened to murder Israel`s
Defence Minister Ehud Barak.
"Mr Ehud Barak, if you think of destroying the settlement in Judea and Samaria, you are mistaken. I will murder you beforehand, and if I don`t succeed, then after you
finish being a minister when you won`t have bodyguards," a letter sent to Barak`s office said, Channel 10 reported.?
"Beware. I will hurt you or your children or all which you hold dear," a part of the letter handed over to internal intelligence agency, Shin Bet, added.?
Israel announced a temporary building moratorium on West Bank settlements in November which subsequently led to several clashes between Jewish settlers and security forces.
Israel`s Channel 2 news reported last week that security had been increased for Barak due to fears over threats from right-wing extremists.
The threats to Barak come after similar threats were made against Police Commissioner David Cohen.?
Right-wing National Union party`s lawmaker, Michael Ben Ari, dismissed the report of death threats as a political spin.
Israel had announced settlement freeze urging the Palestinian Authority to renew peace negotiations, but the Palestinians have rejected the Jewish state`s calls demanding
complete moratorium on construction activities in the West Bank as well as east Jerusalem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets