Israel`s Barak warns Lebanon over Gaza aid fleet
Jerusalem: Israeli Defence Minister Ehud
Barak on Thursday warned Lebanon it would be responsible for any
"violent and dangerous confrontation" with an activist aid
flotilla expected to set sail for Gaza.
"I say clearly to the government of Lebanon: You are
responsible for the boats leaving your ports, which have the
clear and stated intention of trying to break the naval
blockade on Gaza," he said in a statement.
"The Lebanese government ... is responsible for
preventing the loading of weapons, ammunition, explosive
materials and other things of that nature which could lead to
a violent and dangerous confrontation if the ship refuses to
come to Ashdod," he added, referring to an Israeli port.
A group of dozens of Lebanese women activists said
earlier this week they would set sail for Gaza with an aid
ship loaded with medical supplies in the latest bid to break
Israel`s four-year blockade of the Hamas-ruled territory.
Israeli officials had warned that the navy would not
allow the boat to pass or for Lebanon`s Iranian-backed
militant group Hezbollah to use it to transport arms.
The women insisted, however, that they were not
affiliated with Hezbollah or any other political organisation,
and said the ship would carry 30 Lebanese activists as well as
20 foreigners, including several Europeans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!