`Israel`s blockade violating Palestinians` human rights`
United Nations: On the anniversary of
Israel`s siege of the Gaza strip, UN Secretary General Ban
Ki-moon on Sunday said issues that led to this conflict remain
unresolved and the blockade of borders by Tel Aviv was
violating Palestinians` basic human rights.
The Secretary-General also asked Palestinian outfit
Hamas not to resort to violence and called on people of both
countries to work out a solution to end the decades-old
"There is a sense of hopelessness in Gaza today for
1.5 million Palestinians, half of whom are under eighteen.
Their fate and the well-being of Israelis are intimately
connected," Ban`s spokesperson said in a statement.
"The quality and quantity of humanitarian supplies
entering Gaza is insufficient. Broader economic and
reconstruction activity is paralysed, and the people of Gaza
are denied basic human rights," he said.
A UN Fact-Finding Mission led by Justice Richard
Goldstone has found strong evidence of war crimes and crimes
against humanity committed by Hamas and Israeli forces during
the military assault from December 27, 2008 to January 21,
2009, that killed 1,400 Palestinians and 13 Israelis.
Last month, the General Assembly passed a resolution
endorsing the report and asked Israeli and Palestinian
authorities, within three months, to investigate crimes
committed during the attack on Gaza strip failing which the
matter will be placed before the Security Council.
Noting that Egypt has tirelessly worked for
Palestinian unity but without a breakthrough, Ban underlined
the urgent need for a fundamentally-different approach.
"The Secretary-General calls on Israel to end the
unacceptable and counter-productive blockade of Gaza,
facilitate economic activity and civilian reconstruction, and
fully respect and uphold international law," the spokesperson
"The Secretary-General also calls on all Palestinians
to work for unity and elections within the framework of the
legitimate Palestinian Authority," he added.
The latest UN report on humanitarian conditions in the
Occupied Palestinian territory says Israeli settlements
continue to build in violation of international law in West
Bank and East Jerusalem, and attempts to remove them has led
to fresh violence against Palestinians.
Marking the International Day of Solidarity with
Palestinian people on November 30, Ban said the Palestinian
state must be created on the basis of UN resolutions and the
Saying that "today`s anniversary is a reminder of the
bitter consequences of the continuing Israeli-Palestinian
conflict, to which there is and can be no military solution,"
the UN Chief pointed out that leaders of both regions must
make "achievement of a two State solution" an immediate
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...