Israel`s defence minister quits Labor Party
Jerusalem: Defence Minister Ehud Barak said on Monday that he was leaving the iconic Labor Party and forming a new faction in Parliament, completing a split in the party over the handling of peace talks with the Palestinians.
The move did not immediately threaten Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu`s parliamentary majority, but will likely rob the coalition of its most moderate members.
Barak, a former prime minister and one of the most powerful members of the government, is expected to stay in the ruling coalition with four followers. But Labor`s eight remaining members were expected to quit, leaving Netanyahu with only a narrow majority of 66 seats in the 120-seat chamber.
"It`s clear to me that`s what will happen," said Cabinet Minister Avishai Braverman, a Labor lawmaker not splitting off to join the new Barak-led faction.
Barak, along with his four allies, announced his move in a letter obtained by a news agency. A formal announcement was expected later Monday.
Barak made the move to pre-empt growing discontent within Labor over his support of the government`s handling of peace efforts with the Palestinians.
With talks stalled for more than three months, an increasing number of Labor members had urged him to pull out of the government because of the impasse. One member, Daniel Ben-Simon, quit the party last week to protest Barak`s decision to remain in the government.
Labor is the most dovish faction in an otherwise hardline government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened